Current Safaricom Mpesa charges for sending and withdrawing money though a Safaricom agent, ATM and M-pesa tariffs when transferring cash both to registered and non-registered Mpesa users. All Mpesa deposits are free.
There are no Mpesa charges when buying Safaricom airtime through Mpesa. Mpesa is one of the top ways to get paid online. The low Mpesa charges have helped freelance workers make money online from home.
They get paid to write through part time jobs. Data entry home jobs is one of the ways to make money online from home (Read: Online Jobs in Kenya That Pay through Mpesa).
The many profitable business opportunities in Kenya have made mobile money payment popular. Mpesa registration is free and there are no charges when you generate your Safaricom Mpesa statement.
Here is a simple but accurate Mpesa charges calculator. Just enter the amount (without commas) to get the various Mpesa charges for sending and withdrawing money. The amounts shown are in Kenyan Shillings.
MPESA CHARGES CALCULATOR
- The new M-Pesa transaction limit is now KSh 150,000. Daily maximum is KSh 300,000
- You can now hold up to KSh 300,000 in your M-PESA wallet
- Commercial banks have eliminated charges for transfers between a bank account and any mobile money wallet (including M-PESA, Airtel Money and Telkom's T-Kash)
- The rates indicated on this page were last updated on Friday, February 5th, 2021 using data obtained from Safaricom's M-Pesa charges page that is available here.
- Please Do Not Copy and Paste any of the content on this page on to your website. Create your own content.
Increased Excise Duty caused Changes in Mpesa Tariffs
However, Mpesa charges and rates went up a little in July 2018. This was after Treasury CS Henry Rotich increased excise duty on all mobile money transfers by 2 per cent, to the current rate of 12%. According to the CS, some of the extra revenue that the Kenyan government will collect through this increase in tax will be used to provide support for social development programs. These include universal healthcare.
New Mpesa Rates 2022
The new mobile money transfer tax came into effect on July 1st 2018, through the 2018 Finance Bill. Safaricom Kenya Mpesa transfer and withdrawal charges depend on the amount in the transaction. The maximum one can send using Mpesa is Ksh 150,000 per transaction. The maximum daily M-pesa transaction limit is Ksh 300,000. It costs a little more to send money to non-registered subscribers.
As indicated in the Mpesa charges table below, you can not withdraw less than Ksh 50 from an Mpesa agent but you can transfer any amount up to Ksh 150,000 to another Mpesa user. Use the Mpesa rates calculator to get Mpesa fees for sending or withdrawing any amount. Here are the Safaricom Mpesa rates for 2022.
Safaricom Mpesa Charges for Agent and Mpesa to Mpesa
|Min (Ksh)||Max (Ksh)||Withdraw From M-PESA Agent||Transfer to other M-PESA Users, Pochi La Biashara and Business Till To customer|
Mpesa Rates for Unregistered and other Mobile Money Network Users
The following are the Mpesa tariffs for sending money from M-Pesa to unregistered numbers and other mobile money network users.
|Min (Ksh)||Max (Ksh)||Transfer to other Mobile Money Users||Transfer to Unregistered Users|
Safaricom Mpesa Withdrawal Charges for ATM
|Mpesa Transaction Range (Ksh)|
|Min (Ksh)||Max (Ksh)||Mpesa Charges|
- Maximum Account Balance allowed is Ksh 300,000.
- The maximum Daily Transaction Value is Ksh 300,000. Maximum per transaction is Ksh 150,000
- You cannot withdraw less than Ksh 50 at an M-PESA agent outlet.
- To initiate M-PESA person to person self reversal, send the transaction confirmation message to 456
- To transact, your Safaricom line and M-PESA account must be active.
- At an agent outlet, you cannot deposit money directly into another M-PESA customer’s account.
- You earn Bonga points when you transact on M-PESA.
- To register or transact at any M-PESA Agent outlet, you will be required to produce your original identification document, i.e., National ID or Kenyan Passport.